Job Title: Area Supervisor
Reports To: Area Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt (management)
SUMMARY: This position supervises and coordinates activities of workers engaged in providing janitorial and floor care services under a contract to company customers including, but not limited to, large national retail companies for assigned locations and stores within a geographic area.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. This is not an all-inclusive list of duties.
- Monitors and supervises cleaning staff’s schedule, supplies, workloads; conducts applicant interviews and has the ability to hire applicants and terminate employees (under the direction of Human Resources).
- Assigns tasks to workers, and inspects completed work for conformance to standards – this may include overnight strip/wax and scrub/recoat projects; carpet extraction, window cleaning and bathroom detailing.
- Makes store visits to check on crews, cleanliness of stores and proper procedures are being followed.
- Resolves workers’ problems or refers matters to Area Manager or works in conjunction with Human Resources.
- Covering no show crew members and performs duties of workers supervised, such as maintaining and cleaning all floor surfaces, collecting and disposing of paper and rubbish, cleaning monitors and maintaining restrooms, fitting rooms, corridors, store entrance areas and escalators clean, replenishing paper products and sanitary supplies, assisting with the removal and spreading of deicing products at all store entranceways and sidewalks, monitoring and managing the ordering of supplies, etc.
- Effectively manages and trains work crews on cleaning procedures and equipment operation assigned to various locations, and take all action(s) necessary to keep proper staffing, including but not limited to advertising, training, budgeting, scheduling and discipline/discharge (working in conjunction with HR) all employees in assigned locations.
- Ensure that all needed supplies and necessary equipment, are available and in working condition for assigned worksites.
- Provide high level of customer service and account management to stores in an assigned territory, taking all action necessary to ensure completion of required work, according to contract scope, company policy and direction of Area Manager.
- Regularly communicate with Area Manager to keep him/her up to date on status of accounts.
- Timely share information with Area Manager and corporate office personnel regarding all work related injuries, claims of discrimination, harassment and other human resource matters; properly complete the pronto accident investigation report within 2 hours of the accident.
- Oversee the applicant’s completion and timely submission of all new hire employee paperwork (and compliance required documents), including an accurate I9 form and state tax withholding form; obtains Employee ID# prior to starting a new employee to work.
- Knows and follows all safety rules and proper procedures associated with the responsibilities of the job.
- Maintain a professional appearance and dress while representing the company.
- Because of the nature of the industry, more than 40+ hours per week required, including weekends and holidays, as needed.
- Performs other work related duties as assigned.
- Job requires extensive traveling (driving) from one store to another in the Area Supervisor’s assigned territory.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential duties satisfactorily. Qualified personnel should possess a high school degree or equivalent, additional technical training in a related trade. Janitorial experience may substitute for required education on a case by case basis. Must be able to communicate and manage employees and work with clients in a respectful and professional manner. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Must possess a valid state driver’s license.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES: Special skill knowledge and pertinent techniques to work assignment involve:
- Floor care or janitorial management experience
- Carpet care and cleaning; stripping/cleaning/buffing of floor types; floor care chemicals; operation of floor care equipment.
- Ability to understand and follow instructions, and take direction.
- Thoroughness, dependability, tact and courtesy; ability to work in a team environment and with sound and accurate judgment; reacts well under pressure.
- General knowledge of computer (including use of the internet, reading reports, excel and word).
- Effective communicator with other DMS employees, customers, as well as with internal corporate personnel.
- Organized, proven problem solving abilities, and ability to multi-task, prioritize job responsibilities
- Ability to work a full-time schedule including nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Bi-lingual (English/Spanish) a plus (depending on account).
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: This job may require lifting of objects that exceed 50lbs., with frequent lifting and or carrying of objects weighing up to 25 lbs. Other physical demands that are required are, reaching, climbing, stooping and or kneeling, lifting, carrying, pushing and pulling, writing and seeing.
LICENSURE: Must possess a valid state driver’s license in order to fulfill the duties of this position, as significant travel between accounts is required. Must also have required auto insurance. Reliable transportation to allow for necessary travel to various accounts within the assigned territory is required.