Job Title: Technical Support Specialist
Department: Information Technology
Reports To: IT Support Manager
FLSA Status: Non-exempt (hourly)
To Apply: Send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Technical Support Specialist’s role is to ensure proper computer operations so that end users can accomplish organizational tasks. This includes receiving, prioritizing, documenting and actively resolving end user help requests (tickets). Also included is the set-up and maintenance of the company’s computer systems and equipment, mobile devices, telephone systems and equipment, and other technical devices. Problem resolution may involve the use of diagnostics and help request tracking tools, as well as require that the individual give hands-on help at the desktop level.
– Strategy & Planning
- Evaluate documented resolutions and analyze trends for ways to prevent future problems.
– Acquisition & Deployment
- Assist in acquisition and deployment of mobile devices and technical field equipment.
– Operational Management
- Field incoming help requests from end users via ticketing system, in person, email, and/or phone in a courteous manner.
- Build rapport and elicit problem details from help desk customers.
- Efficiently prioritize incoming Help Desk tickets to ensure minimal user interruption.
- Escalate problems (when required) to the appropriately experienced technician.
- Record, track, and document the help desk request problem-solving process, including all successful and unsuccessful decisions made, and actions taken, through to the final resolution.
- Apply diagnostic utilities to aid in troubleshooting.
- Access software updates, drivers, knowledge bases, and frequently asked questions resources on the Internet to aid in problem resolution.
- Identify and learn appropriate software and hardware used and supported by the organization.
- Perform hands-on fixes at the desktop level, including installing and upgrading software, implementing file backups, and configuring systems and applications.
- Test fixes to ensure problem has been adequately resolved.
- Carry out appropriate IT department procedures upon employee termination.
- Develop help sheets and knowledge base articles for end users.
- Evening, weekend, and holiday on-call coverage rotation may be required.
- Perform related duties consistent with the scope and intent of the position.
– Formal Education & Certification
- Ideal: Bachelor’s degree in computer related field.
- Preferred: Associates Degree in a computer related field.
- Acceptable: High School diploma or equivalent, and 1 year work experience in related field.
– Knowledge & Experience
- Knowledge of basic computer hardware.
- Knowledge of all common Microsoft products.
- Extensive application support experience.
- Working knowledge of Google Apps including Gmail and Google Drive platforms.
- Familiarity with iPhone, iPad, and Apple’s iOS software.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, with a focus on rapport-building, listening, and questioning skills.
- Strong documentation skills.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) considered a plus
– Personal Attributes
- Ability to conduct research into a wide range of computing issues as required.
- Ability to absorb and retain information quickly.
- Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language.
- Highly self-motivated and directed.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a fast-paced high-pressure environment.
- Demonstrated punctuality and attention to detail as well as attentiveness when on-call.
- Exceptional customer service orientation.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
– Work Conditions and Physical Demands
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, power tools, and to handle other computer components.
- Lifting and transporting of moderately heavy objects, such as computers and peripherals.
- Occasional reaching, climbing, stooping and/or kneeling, lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling, writing, and watching/seeing.